Saturday, May 9, 2009

Could I feel at home in the city?


After spending time in Calgary and Vancouver last week I was left thinking about living in or close to a city again. I find I am attracted to the hustle and bustle, the opportunity to explore some new restaurant, shop or neighbourhood. Weekends could be filled with thumbing through obscure novels at the latest book shop, listening to live music, or meeting up with friends for drinks at our favorite haunts.
On the other hand the city is also a lonely place that sprawls from one area to the next repeating its plastic box houses, flashing its neon lights at you and begging you to spend the last dime on your credit card for the next must have item...only to realize it is already out of fashion.

There are trails through the subdivisions that provide dog walkers, joggers, and a few "Yummy Mommies" a visual reprieve from city life and yet the illusion is destroyed by the hum of car engines 2 blocks away and the piercing cry of a police siren that shatters the falsified serenity of this urban nature trail.
Yes the city is a melding pot of contradictions and I am left wondering where, if at all I could fit in.

My friends have each found their individual niche, found a place that they feel welcomed so why is it I feel I never could again.
I am a wife and hopefully soon a mother so a natural start on this quest may be with the "Yummies". Perhaps they would embrace me into their fold....but I am a little pudgy, political and opinionated about what is right for my family and I am certainly not into $4000.00 designer cribs or fashion label work out gear that no one ever breaks a sweat in so I fear our relationship would come to a very abrupt end.
Perhaps I could start a running class with JoJo and work up to becoming a full on weekend warrior...but I love to spend Sunday mornings curled up in bed with my husband and while jogging is fun I am simply not competitive enough to ever go from jogger to "Runner".

Maybe I have been looking to much at the physical and I should look into finding a political cause or charity to infiltrate...but the granola do-gooders would soon shun a happily addicted shoe collector like myself and the more straight laced hard asses would gasp at my Spiritual hoodoo voodoo beliefs and free love outlook on life.

So the question remains where could I fit in within a city?
.... And the answer remains the same as always: With my loving but crazy husband, with my soul sister and BFF, and with my four legged animals that make anywhere and everywhere home!

No comments: