Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Making a Baby

If any one asked me a couple of years ago if I knew how to make a baby I would of laughed, maybe blushed, and certainly of made a smart-ass comment yet here I now am after dealing with fertility issues realizing that I had NO idea just how much it takes to get pregnant.
Our parents drilled into our heads the fact that it only takes one time to become pregnant yet the chances are only 25% and that is if everything is working fine and your timing is spot on.

Now that my husband and I have had to go to doctors and have tests it has forced us into not only being very aware of what the limitations of the human body are but we have also had to learn what each of our emotional limitations are. After reading tons of information and hearing peoples horror stories about years on medications, invasive surgeries, failed IVF attempts, emotional and financial bankruptcy, I am relieved that we have been able to keep things simple so far. For us our marriage comes first and adding children to our family in any way possible (pregnancy, adoption) comes second yet we seem to be a rarity!

Seeing the hardships and the emotional turmoil of others that are in our fertility challenged situation makes me want to ask the question... "Just how far will you go?"

For us the answer has yet to be defined in words but I do know that neither of us would allow our marriage to suffer, our finances to be crippled or our emotional bank account emptied. Does this mean we are less dedicated to starting a family? or simply sane?

The last thing Eric and I would want to do is bring a child into this already crazy world and willingly subject them to problems we created in the journey of bringing that child into our life. To do so seems like a complete oxymoron. If our marriage and life is not stable then what kind of parents could we possibly be and what right do we have to create this child in the first place?

There have been days when the tears have flowed and disappointment at another month passing with no positive results has seemed like a devastating experience but for us our faith in both our dream of a family and the strength of one another has kept us positive and strong.

I have no doubt that a child will become a part of our family in one way or another but I also have no doubt that if we had to live a life without a child we could do so and still thrive in our life together.

Blessed be to any and all of you who may be in, or were in this situation. My heart goes out to you and you are always in our prayers.

Love and Light,

No comments: