Saturday, May 19, 2007

Raised the bar

Today was a wonderful sunny day and the rain we were expecting was moved on by the soft wind. Out at the stables I found Countess in her paddock and spent ages grooming her until she shone in the bright summer sun. It was a tough lesson with lots of work without stirrups but after a grueling 45 minutes it was time to start jumping.
Today was the day when the bar would be raised for the first time. Not by much but enough that Countess and I had to work a little harder. It was so great to feel her strength under me. She barely had to increase her effort but now I could feel her tighten her muscles and hear her breath a little deeper. I remembered everything that Mary-Ann, my instructor, had been teaching me and I could tell that Countess trusted my ability more this week than she had before. It was a wonderful feeling to connect with this lovely mare and know that she was starting to trust in my commands and that we were becoming a real team.

We were up to the last jump-round for the day. The full course consisted of a small cavaletti to start then down and around the arena to a oxer, a loop at the far end of the arena and then back down to a flower box wall and then up over a 2 fence straight to finish. We jumped a clear and it felt great to go further than we had before......Then the unexpected happened. Countess tripped, over what I don't know, but she tripped on the right and I stayed firm in the saddle but then as she tried to right herself her left leg gave out and she banged down on the knee. I lost my seat then and landed heavily but luckily wasn't hurt. Countess and I were righted and up in a flash and luckily neither were any worse the wear. Back into the saddle for a quick work out to make sure we were really both fine and then we called it a day.
Taking a spill is expected in horse riding and today was certainly not the first time for me but what I didn't expect was the instant worry I felt about a horse that I don't even own. My concern for my self was far out waited by my concern for Countess, the horse I ride only once per week. Today Countess and I raised the bar in our jumping, and then we raised the bar in our friendship.
Goddess bless you beautiful Countess!

Love and light,

No comments: