Thursday, May 24, 2007

Second Chances

Do you ever wonder how your childhood friends are?
How your old neighbor is that you lived next to many years ago?
Or what ever happened to the cutie you used to have a huge crush on?
Sometimes,as I sit working on a new painting, these types of questions would start going through my mind and so I went in search of friends that I haven't spoken to in far to long and to my wonderful surprise I have been able to track some of them down. In the last month or so I have located and emailed and spoken with almost 10 long-lost friends who all used to be a huge part of my life.
It is amazing how easily the conversation flows and how wonderful I feel after hearing that old familiar voice. We share stories, both the good and the bad, and somehow you know that there will be no judgment as these are the same people you used to share your secrets with and that have seen you through the days of bad hair, pimples, and terrible attempts at first love.

I am incredibly blessed to have made some wonderful friends in my adult life and now I am increasingly blessed with the reignited friendships of my youth.
I think that as we grow up, get married, have kids, and settle into our careers it is easy to loose touch with those that we once promised friends-4-ever to. Life gets complicated and the days are not nearly long enough to accomplish everything so sadly we put our friends further down the priority list and in no time we can barely remember the last time we spoke to them.

For me, finding and re-connecting with these friends is a gift to re-visit my younger self and to further understand just how far my friends and I have come in the years gone by.
Friends are an amazing gift and a rare commodity so I for one will do all I can to keep in touch with these fabulous folks.

Reaching out to someone after months or years of not speaking can be terrifying but trust me when I say it is worth pushing through the fear. I am so grateful for this second chance at friendship and I only hope that some of you may be encouraged by this post to do the same thing.

Blessed be, love and light

No comments: