Monday, March 12, 2007

Embracing Your Equine Heart

Every Saturday I have the pleasure of a horse riding lesson. My partner in this lesson is a lovely bay mare named Countess. She is ridden by several people each week and willingly puts up with each of our flaws while we learn to ask her to do things that she has been doing for many years now.

When sitting and thinking of this patient but willful animal I realize the lessons she teaches me that go far beyond my horse riding abilities. Each time she allows me onto her back or each time she responds to my gentle request to collect her trot or extend her legs, to change her lead or to stand perfectly still I realize that she has agreed to work with me despite me ignorance and flaws.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if we humans were as gracious with each others flaws as this humble animal is with mine?

She holds no grudge when I use my leg a little too hard on her side or when I loose my seat and land heavily on her back. Countess simply expresses her displeasure immediately with a swish of her tail or a flattening of her ears and then our tiff is over and all is forgiven. We can learn so much from this instant and honest display of emotion and the instant release of a discomfort allowing ourselves to return to peace with no unresolved issues.

I did a meditation over the weekend that asked me to revisit my past and I found myself crying for wounds still fresh but that are years old. I thought then of Countess and wondered if my wounds would be so fresh if I had shown all of my true feelings in the moment as she does rather than "Managing" them as many of us do and then carrying them around with us like ridiculous badges of honour. If we fill up our hearts and souls with old unresolved events and emotions then how can their be room for the joy and happiness that we each long for?

Change is never easy but it is a gift and I will being trying to change how I "manage" my emotions and I will be striving to embrace my Equine Heart by living and releasing in the emotional moment.
{Thanks Countess! I predict many carrots in your future :-) }
Love and Light,

No comments: